Designing the living space can seem daunting, with so much to consider, but by following some important guidelines, one can put together the right concept. If a person has a degree of creativity and self-confidence, decorating the home can be very satisfying, and one can transform any living area. Here are some helpful hints to bring out the creativity and flair in anyone.
- Measure the room before doing anything else. Create a floorplan and work from this at all times. Don’t be afraid to scribble notes and add anything that might be useful. This will be the plan to work from when creating the design, so it is a focal point of the design process. If one lives in Western Australia, Perth furniture from Webber Furniture is both stylish and functional, and would fit in with any floorplan.
- Identify the best source of natural lighting, as this will enable one to decide where to put the artificial lighting. It is better to use either blinds or thick curtains to ensure that the natural light can be fully blocked out when required.
- Select the right floor covering – It might be carpet, timber, or vinyl, but whatever one decides, the design of the room should be based around this, so bear this in mind when choosing colours. Of course, it is a personal choice, so go for something one would feel at home with.
- Choose no more than three main colours, and make small patches of each, then match them against each other to see the effect. Walls, floors, curtains, and furniture can all incorporate the base colours. So imagine how each item would look in a particular colour, and if it isn’t what one had in mind, then a change is easy, as one has not yet made a commitment.
- Lounge furniture should be in line with the overall concept, and the material should be hardwearing and easy to clean. Leather is always a wise choice, but if one fancies something a little more contemporary, there are classic fabrics in a range of colours and patterns. Wood furniture adds a rustic feel, and with a range of styles, it offers elegance and practicality.
- The walls are a focal point as far as design is concerned, so choose colours carefully. Paintings and pictures can really make a difference, and with a few shelf units in the right place, things will look balanced.
- Make your style unique – While it is OK to follow other peoples’ advice, it is better to stamp one’s own individual style on the room, and don’t be afraid to experiment. There is no hard and fast formula for interior design, so mix it up and one might be surprised at the outcome.
Interior design is all about self-confidence and having the ability to visualise something before it is created. By following the above guidelines, one should end up with the ideal living space, and with self-design and careful purchases, it will also be affordable.